Re: gnome-keyring Why does -ask ship a copy of GtkEntry ?

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> I was investigating why gnome-keyring-ask doesn't show the nice new
> caps-lock warning that I added to GtkEntry recently, and found that
> gnome-keyring ships its own diverged copy of GtkEntry... not nice.
> What is missing from GtkEntry that prevents you from using it ? It
> seems to be good enough for all the other password entries in the
> desktop, so if there is something that you consider insufficient, it
> better be fixed for everyone, I think.

Blush :)

I should have spoken up about this a while back.

gnome-keyring and seahorse go to great lengths to make sure passwords
always reside in nonpageable locked memory. There are special memory
allocation functions for this [1]

I tried to prepare a patch for GTK+ so that GtkEntry could be given a
static buffer which it would use for all its content. At the time it was
a bit tough for me to understand GtkEntry and successfully complete this.

I put this one GnomeRoadmap, under 'Is there something that is really
missing in our infrastructure or platform that would help you?' [2]
however I should have posted to gtk-list.

Cheers,

Stef Walter

[1]
http://library.gnome.org/devel/gnome-keyring/stable/gnome-keyring-gnome-keyring-memory.html