Re: Hrm. Now I know why this list is dead

On Thu, 20 May 1999, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> > Oh, fuck off! We KDE people spend *much* more time being told we are evil,
>
> this dicussion is down to the level of "i have a longer ...".

Andreas, you're right. I however insist on the fact that this "contest"
started with the Gnome spokesperson saying "KDE has no future" and some
other things to the extent of <<Gnome has it longer>>.

Anyways, I disapprove the tone of the general discussion. And I already
said to Mosfet in private (when he asked me if I think he overreacts) that
he's maybe not overreacting but anyways "uselessly upset".

I, in any case, hail Mosfet's first message which, no matter his content,
had the sane effect of sparkling *a* discussion. *A* discussion is better
than no discussion at all.

It was possible to learn consequently that gnome people are quite unaware
of the collaboration efforts which are just popping up between the two
camps.

It was also possible to see that discussion remains possible. So:

 > no wonder there is few cooperation. better everyone stops now and

... here you're not right.

> invests his time in improving his favorite desktop environment
> (or editor or distribution or ...).

And here we can still discuss. A lot.

When I first saw M. de Icaza's interview with BBC, I was tempted to do
more than what Mosfet did. But some of my friends, calmer than I was,
pointed me again to the fact that despite de Icaza's essays, the truth is
somewhere else.

And then I realized that, if we manage to behave the tone of this
discussion and start making efforts towards more cooperation, then we will
arrive to conclude that de Icaza's efforts had exactly inverse effects
compared to what he maybe intended.

Gnome or KDE are more than one person. All what most of us are doing is
about self-satisfaction, learning, pleasure. Nothing keeps us from
following these while still collaborating out of each own's box.

What do you think?

Can we finally use this list for its intended purpose? Or do you really
have a compelling argument for the " better everyone stops now ".

Thanks

Cristian

--
Cristian Tibirna     : ctibirna@total.net     : www.total.net/~ctibirna