Re: hosting Banshee releases on gnome.org

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Gabriel Burt <gabriel burt gmail com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> We (the Banshee maintainers) are interested in hosting our Banshee
> releases on ftp.gnome.org.  They are currently hosted on our website,
> eg <http://download.banshee.fm/banshee/stable/2.0.0/>.  I wanted to
> ask here because it could have non-negligible disk space and bandwidth
> implications because of our user-focused builds (.msi, .dmg installer,
> and potentially a Linux bundle soon).
>
> We do about 12 releases a year, currently at around 74 MB per release
> - but would be around 120 MB if we add a Linux bundle.  So per year,
> could be somewhere around 1440 MB.  We have 968 MB of existing release
> files we'd probably want to migrate as well (assuming that's
> normal/ok).
>
> In terms of bandwidth, the user-focused builds are my concern.  Since
> Feb, our alpha releases of Banshee on Windows have been downloaded by
> 20k IPs, and our beta builds for OS X by 4k users, and there's
> potential for one or both of these to get substantially more popular.
>
> Given all that, would it be OK for us to move to hosting our releases
> on ftp.gnome.org?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Gabriel

Hi Gabriel,

ftp.gnome.org isn't _actually_ hosted by gnome but by some really
friendly swedes. I've spoken with Stric, our contact for ftp.gnome.org
and he has no problem with what you propose. They have about 20Tb of
free disk space and their network pipe is something else. Check this
out for reference:
http://www.acc.umu.se/technical/statistics/ftp/monitordata/index.html.en

How exactly do you cut a new release now? Do you just upload them to
your servers and shoot out an email or something? I looked you up in
mango and you've got ftp upload privileges so you should be able to do
what you need from master.gnome.org.

--
Jeff Schroeder

Don't drink and derive, alcohol and analysis don't mix.
http://www.digitalprognosis.com