Re: DB issues with WPMU

<quote who="Owen Taylor">

> > Ultimately, I'd love to put blogo on another machine, so its rather
> > unique abuse of Apache and MySQL -- compared to anything else we run --
> > can be segmented away from more, uh, critical infrastructure. :-)
> > Thoughts on this?
>
> My idea for this would probably be:
>
>  - Put the web front end in a smallish VM

Right, that would be a great first step -- are we running VMs already? How
can I set this up? (And does it have to be RHEL?)

>  - Run multiple mysqld instances on drawable.gnome.org. Bugzilla isn't
>  stressing this machine out even a bit, and we could easily host more
>  databases in the same mysqld instance, but it would be nice to segment
>  connection and other resources limits.
>
>  Running multiple mysqld instances will take a fair bit of effort and
>  configuration, so I don't think it's a short-term project compared to
>  some of the other outstanding work.

Hmm, so what else is using MySQL on button at the moment? Perhaps we already
have enough segmentation -- at least for blogs vs. bugzilla. I have mostly
been avoiding dicking with MySQL because of bugzilla -- if I can spend some
time fixing up button for non-bugzilla workloads, that'd be an easy start.

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2010: Wellington, NZ                http://www.lca2010.org.nz/

   "Instead you're doing circle jerks with the Care Bears of Censorship."
                            - Siduri on Slashdot