Re: MediaWiki on gnome.org servers

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 16:12:33 -0400
Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org> wrote:

> On 03/25/2009 03:44 AM, Lionel Dricot wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm not sure if it's the right place to ask but can you tell us
> > what the limitations of moinmoin in regards to mediawiki are ?
>
> One area that I've seen moinmoin lag behind is internationalization
> (searching, etc).  Also attachments and images seem to be better
> handled in MediaWiki, as well as things like templates.
>
> > In my little wiki experience, mediawiki is a nightmare to maintain
> > compared to moinmoin so I'm curious of the benefits.
>
> MediaWiki is for sure a much bigger piece of software, but it's also
> the de facto standard of wiki softwares, so I expect it to be better
> maintained and respond better to security issues.
>
> Fedora made the move recently.  We can contact them to get their
> opinion.
>
> Just my .02CAD

The switch from Python to PHP in terms of httpd modules is not to be
missed, either.

I personally prefer Moin. But I'm not really functionally part of
ongoing sysadmin work, so ... my 2% of a Loonie.

--
./k

kurt von finck

http://www.mneptok.com

public key: keyserver.ubuntu.com
key id: 5229D26A
fingerprint: 127A A484 ADBF A5AD E7FB 8CD2 8913 18F4 5229 D26A

Music is the space between the notes. - Debussy