Re: New module import to git.gnome.og

On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 19:34 +0000, John Carr wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 7:04 PM, Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:

> >> Wouldn't
> >>
> >>       git push --all --tags url
> >>
> >> just work?
> >
> > You can't push --all --tags. I don't know why. If you 'git push --all'
> > 'git push --tags', then you spam commits list.
> >
> >> I don't like the idea of sending tarballs and such; people seem to live
> >> just fine with github's or gitorious's method of "just push whatever you
> >> need".
> >>
> >> We may just need to give the "push --all --tags" recipe for the majority
> >> of users.  For people who have branches or tags that they don't want
> >> published, they either already know what to do, or we can just tell them
> >> "push each thing you want by hand" with a little recipe.
> >
> > Suggestions how to make "push stuff until it looks right" compatible
> > with commits-list appreciated.
> >
> > - Owen
>
> One option is to have the setup scripts run in 2 stages - one to setup
> the initial repository, and one to make it live. Its not ideal, but
> given this is custom stuff that we will have to document on the wiki
> anyway, I dont think this is too bad..
>
> That brings up a second issue - what is the incentive to actually
> fully finish the procedure. What if i forget to run step 2. We could
> use a mixture of the following to encourage people to finish the
> process:
>
>  * Allow a window of x hours before it goes live - pushes after that
> time get denied unless you run a script. This will soon get boring,
> given how easy it is to say 'yes im happy, go live'
>  * Don't allow cloning over git:// (maybe dont allow pulling at all)
>  * Don't show in cgit
>  * Only allow repo creator to push
>  * Can we display a warning message when pushing/pulling?
>
> Maybe the commit list hook only happens when the repository has
> existed for a couple of hours :-)

I think you want to allow people to clone, and look at things in cgit,
since those are the mechanisms that allow people to know that their
import is OK. But I like the general idea here.

What if we:

 * Prepended [PENDING] to the cgit description

 * Required people to:

   git push --exec=import

 * Disallowed other git-push.

Until you ssh user git gnome org finish-import

Then in the [PENDING] state we would skip the commit mail, allow
creating lightweight tags, and allow deleting tags and branches (to fix
up your screwups). We'd still have some of the other pre-receive hooks
that we want to enforce on new imports.

- Owen