Re: Git migration status upate

On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 16:36 +0100, Santi Béjar wrote:
> 2009/3/17 Xavier Claessens <xclaesse gmail com>:

> >> I'm sure you can fetch the old and new tree into one repository and rebase the
> >> branches over the new master.
> >
> > I don't think so, because the 2 svn imports will be completely different
> > commits. You can cherry-pick commits from 2 git-svn checkouts of the
> > same svn repositoy.
>
> I think you can do it even with completely different history,
> something like this:
>
> git rebase --onto newmaster oldmaster topic
>
> that basically means: take all the commits in the range
> oldmaster..topic and rebase them on top of newmaster.
>
> There is a section in the rebase manpage discussing this: "RECOVERING
> FROM UPSTREAM REBASE".

Yes, something like that should be possible.  As Behdad mentions, you
can fetch (not pull) a completely different repo into your git repo and
then use git rebase as Santi describes to pull your changes from the
git-svn repo into the GNOME git repo.  We can figure it out - all the
history is upstream and in your repos and we can piece it back together.
Just don't merge the svn branches, it won't record the merge points and,
who knows, maybe the branch isn't ready to be merged yet :)

cheers,
Kristian