Re: git status update?

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 23:19 +0100, Frederic Peters wrote:
> Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
>
> > I'm not aware of any major blockers for moving things to git; commit
> > emails and cia bot is hooked up, cgit is in place and the repositories
>
> Commit emails do not match the plans described in the recent proposal
> by Owen; most notably I need some kind of final form to update the
> buildbot scripts.

Commit mails now match what I described, but actually, the part that I
would suggest you use hasn't changed. I'm not very comfortable with
people parsing the subject and body, because that results in some
combination of unreadable subject and body and scripts that break when
we try to improve thing.

# What module changed

If the X-Git-Oldrev/X-Git-Newrev headers are missing, then you can
ignore the mail - when we send out a "cover email", the Oldrev/Newrev
headers are in the cover email and are omitted from the detailed mails
that follow.

Maybe we can put whatever additional information you need (like a common
directory prefix for the changes) in the headers as well,

> Also I didn't participate in that thread as Owen listed the feature I
> would have requested (as it is really nice for the buildbots):
> >> a cgit link to the the commit might be a nice addition

Not there yet, but planned. In the buildbot context though, I'm
completely sure what you'd want for the link... what breaks a build is a
*push* - the update to what is in the master branch. But cgit doesn't
know about pushes, just individual changes.

You can also build cgit URLs yourself if you know what the ID is of a
commit:

http://git.gnome.org/cgit/gnome-shell/commit/?id=c67289fa2c70b08d8b5ce75045b2ad1acb7310fa

So in some sense, the X-Git-Newrev: header is sufficient.

> Early January I added pointers to jhbuild bug reports at
> http://live.gnome.org/GitMigration#head-56bd8cc0ccd54c22ccd12fd588063f5681a62b2d
> with that note:
>   > There are a few bug reports that would benefit the eye
>   > of a git expert
> and got no comment on those reports, and

I've now added (extensive) commentary on two of those. The third is my
bug report, so I'm disqualified from giving expert testimony on it. :-)

> http://live.gnome.org/GitMigration#head-56bd8cc0ccd54c22ccd12fd588063f5681a62b2d-2
> has "TODO: Figure out what needs to be done for jhbuild "

Nothing *has* to be done. We're using jhbuild for gnome-shell with all
the modules in git (git.gnome.org and git.clutter-project.org) and the
jhbuild git support has generally not been a big issue. There are
certainly thing that can be done to improve it, but those mostly come up
when you are using git in a more sophisticated fashion.

- Owen