applying a patch to 2 branches

Hi all,

Can someone explain the "proper way" to apply a patches to both a stable branch and the master branch, using git?

With svn, I would commit the patches to the stable branch (say as commits 124 and 125), then go to the trunk branch, then use something like "svn merge -r 123:125 /path/to/stable/branch", and commit from trunk.

I'm struggling to understand the equivalent in git. Perhaps it's obvious, just not to me...

- Mike