Git hosting

Hi,

We were discussing this on #gtk+ the other day.  Seems like transition
to a nextgen VCS, preferably git, would be needed in near future.  Many
GTK+ hackers (everyone in Imendio for example) has been using git-svn
already, which makes perfect sense, because it allows a company/hacker
to have an internal GTK+ tree they work on.  The pain currently only
lies when they want to push the stuff upstream.  chpe also has been
using git-svn to do branches involving tens of commits and make them
available to me for review, for gnome-terminal and gucharmap.  These all
make me think, if we are using it, why the pain of the bridge?

I assume the merits of nextgen VCS tools are not disputed.  I personally
prefer git because that's widespread on fd.o and many of us around GTK+
stack already use it.

My proposal is to offer git hosting as an opt-in option, not switching
all modules to it.  That seems to have worked for fdo, though more and
more projects are moving.

Anyway, Olav asked me to write to these lists, so here it goes.

Cheers,
--
behdad
http://behdad.org/