Re: post-commit msgs to -devel lists w/ full diff and commit msg

On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 03:18:39AM -0600, Gabriel Burt wrote:
> On Dec 30, 2007 1:13 AM, Gabriel Burt <gabriel burt gmail com> wrote:
> > Do any projects/svn modules have e-mails sent to an arbitrary address
> > (their -devel list probably) including commit msgs as well as diffs,
> > to facilitate code review?  If not, can we set up a
> > easy-to-scale/replicate post-commit hook script for doing that?
>
> Hmm, I guess to follow Karl Fogel's advice to a T, if the current
> svn-commits list could include (perhaps optionally?) the full diff (up
> to some size limit perhaps), and the reply-to could be set to each
> project's -devel list, that would be perfect - no new post-hooks
> needed.

We did that in the beginning (during testing phase). It was stopped
before go live. Not exactly sure why. Probably because:
1. Not sure how many people want this
2. It severely increases the size of the mailing list archive (every
mail is stored twice and also backed up)
3. It creates problems for svn-commits-list (bigger mails = slower mail
+ and one point mailman will ask moderators to approve it).

So it is possible, but am not sure of the benefits. There are 127
subscribers at the moment. I'd like some feedback first on who would
find this useful and if there would be objections. This as it already is
a high volume list, I don't want to unexpectedly increase the size of
the emails.

Olav