Re: Construction sentences with embedded widgets

Stef Walter <stefw gnome org>, Wed, 08 Sep 2010 08:41:48 -0500:

> On 2010-09-08 07:17, Petr Kovar wrote:
> > Stef Walter <stefw gnome org>, Tue, 07 Sep 2010 20:27:48 -0500:
> >>  * Forget this password after for an amount of time: [X ] minutes
> >>  * Forget this password after idle for an amount of time.
> >
> > Note that the two "minutes" fragments mentioned above would definitely
> > require ngettext, for reasons described at:
> >
> > http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/DevGuidelines/Plurals
>
> Are you sure?
>
> Please see the screenshot that I attached. If so, please point to an
> application that uses ngettext with a spinbutton (and presumably runs
> ngettext on every click).

Well, being just a plain translator, I don't know much about implementation
details, so got no pointers, sorry. Anyhow, with my plain translator hat
on, I'm pretty sure that the current implementation as seen on the
screenshot causes serious l10n problems, esp. for Slavic languages.

If using ngettext in conjunction with the particular widget is problematic
for some reason, I'd propose rewording the said string e.g. as follows:

* Forget this password after for an amount of time (in minutes): [X ]

Or:

* Forget this password after for an amount of time: [X ] (in minutes)

Or:

* Forget this password after for an amount of time: [X ] (minutes)

Moreover, I assume that "minutes" can be abbreviated to "min", if required.

Cheers,
Petr Kovar