Improving translators experience with l10n.gnome.org

(moved to gnome-i18n because I think it makes more sense and changed its
subject to something more meaningful).

Comments below:

El dv 14 de 08 de 2009 a les 18:41 +0800, en/na Aron Xu va escriure:
> Yes, having a web UI might be a good choice for getting more people
> invovled, but it's not easy to control the quality as launchpad has
> set an example for us. Now there is much more people on launchpad but
> not our l10n team working on Simplified Chinese, that's the truth, but
> the quality is just in the opposite of the number of participates.
> Sometimes, upstream translators can be very busy in day life(for work,
> study and etc.), but there are not many people doing the review work,
> others translate on launchpad or someone else on damned-lies, then it
> will be leaving there for a long time till some of the reviewers or
> committers have some time to review them. The number of the files need
> to review sometimes will accumulate to a big number.
> Anyway, the web UI might be only a good tool for newbies rather than
> elder translators. For instance,  zh_CN team's coordinator, he seems
> to hate it someway. We can write scripts or use all kinds of ways we
> think good to help us to accelerate our work while working with po
> files, but for those starter who might still not very clear about
> basic programming knowledge, using po files might be not so
> convenient.
> I think this localization guide explained many things clearly and gave
> good advices, but we might need more effectual way to let the
> suggestions come true easily for every team.
> http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/LocalisationGuide
> For example building up a glossary for the translations to respect. It
> can be a big task for anyone who start to make it out. Any team don't
> have a good glossary will face such a problem: while translating, we
> don't know where to look up, after google but around halt time cannot
> get a good resolution, then we may decide to ask in mailing list, or
> create a new translation of it. This creation leads to the most
> differences on translations of the same word. So I have a suggestion
> that we can start a project contains a glossary list maintained by
> specified persons, and translation teams (coordinators or someone else
> on the team) can take responsibility for them.
> Another thing to concern is making a database of translated strings
> for every team, just like what suggested on the localization guide but
> more easy-to-use, maintained online and accessible for every team
> member. I know some teams might have there website and run programs to
> do such work, just like automatic translate, it can give suggestions
> on glossaries and more, but not every team have the person who can
> write such program or even they don't have a website for themselves.
> We can build a program that every team can use directly if possible,
> may be integrated with Damned-Lies or other better way.

Actually combining damned-lies on-line presence and statistics with
translate-toolkit [1] which is able to create glossaries from a bunch of
given po files it would be really cool.

For example with poterminology [2] we could create a terminology on the
fly for all translations that have strings translated on l10n.gnome.org
and with pocompendium [3] we could create a translation memory to be
used as a local database to query for strings.

And I also see a tmserver [4] which could be used for gtranslator,
gedit, poedit and the likes (even lokalize) to query the translations
on-line.

Even further we could also use pocount[5] to let translators know not
only strings, but also how many words (professional translators get
payed per word instead of per string for example).

</brain dump> :)

Any more thoughts?

Cheers,

[1] http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki