QUERY REGARDING POT FILES

Hello there,

I with my team are working on the i18n of gnome-gnowser.
We are facing a problem regarding a command execution. While creating pot
files we are executing a command as
xgettext -f POTFILES.in ../gnowser.py --output=gnowser.pot

But we are getting the following error:

xgettext: warning: file `encoding: UTF-8' extension `' is unknown; will try C
xgettext: error while opening "encoding: UTF-8" for reading: No such file or directory"

where POTFILES.in contains 1st line as

encoding: UTF-8

and further the file contains the list of .glade and .py files of gnowser

How do we remove this error? If anyone knows the solution please let us know.