Re: Translator credits (to maintainers)

Yair Hershkovitz <yairhr gmail com>, Fri, 18 Jul 2008 23:18:40 +0300:

> On ו', 2008-07-18 at 21:23 +0200, Petr Kovar wrote:
> > Jonh Wendell <jwendell gnome org>, Thu, 17 Jul 2008 16:00:41 -0300:
> >
> > > Hi, folks.
> > >
> > > This is just a warning about translator names in NEWS file:
> > >
> > > You should get the translator name from the "Last Translator" field in
> > > the .po file, not from po/Changelog. Sometimes the translator is not
> > > the same person as who commits the file.
> >
> > Well, then this fact should be noted by the commiter in the changelog
> > entry (and in the commit log message). The name in the "Last
> > Translator" field may often lists the person who actually done the
> > proof-reading only, not the translation work itself. (At least this is
> > the case in the Czech translation team.)
> >

> This is just equivalent of saying that the proof-reader should make sure
> he does not change the "Last Translator" field.

Is it? Then that would be rather difficult considering the proof-readers
using the very same software as translators and the majority of editors
updating the "Last Translator" field every time one saves a catalog.

This seems like an argument for not rely on the "Last Translator" field at
all, especially when using some make-a-release script that is more likely
"error prone" in my opinion.

Looking at the GNOME 2.22/2.23 NEWS files, I notice there are several
mistakenly assigned translator credits. Too late now, but...

> We are all volunteers here, working as a best effort service. There is
> no guarantee that either of the ChangLog and "Last Translators" entries
> are accurate.

Aye.

Regards,
Petr Kovar