Re: Import from Launchpad

Hi Wouter,

Today at 9:24, Wouter Bolsterlee wrote:

> 2008-02-05 klockan 08:54 skrev Danilo Šegan:
>> "Social" as in involving people and communication, versus "technical"
>> problem (since it's completely possible to restrict access to any of
>> the languages in Ubuntu to whoever you wish).  There is no way we
>> could have fixed the problem without people approaching us and telling
>> us something is wrong.
>
> Upstream Gnome people don't want/need to get involved in Ubuntu-specific
> launchpad translations stuff---they might as well use another distribution,
> so the incentive for participating in an Ubuntu community process is pretty
> much non-existent.

That's ok.  I am expecting people who do care about Ubuntu to get
involved in the process, not those who don't.  If they are involved
with upstream, even better.

> Therefore it is unreasonable to ask upstream people to get involved with
> downstream distributions. Coordinating the upstream translations and keeping
> those up-to-date and of a high quality is already time consuming enough for
> most of us.

Ubuntu provides changes to the base GNOME.  They need to be updated as
well.  At the moment, Launchpad can't separate these two, and it will
take quite some technical effort (read: design, coding, testing,
fixing) to achieve that separation.  Until that happens (let's call
that 'the correct solution'), you can do two things, depending on how
much you care about *GNOME translations in Ubuntu* (so, if you are not
an Ubuntu user, it's no bad thing that you don't care too much about
this):

1. Help Ubuntu translators get their act straight where they are
   really in error.
2. Ignore the issue.

Plan is for Launchpad to help with option 1, but upstream teams can
very well choose the other option.  Again, we'll be working on
'the correct solution' as well, but not in the near term.

Cheers,
Danilo