Re: msgctxt (was Re: String changes in Evolution)

Sven Neumann <sven gimp org>, Wed, 06 Aug 2008 08:59:47 +0200:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 23:25 +0200, Petr Kovar wrote:
>
> > Now, Claude says the migration concerns only Evolution. That's very
> > true, but I've to add for the time being. Because who can guarantee that
> > tomorrow won't come with any other affected module's developer migrating
> > his/her piece to msgctxt? I think some official message towards the
> > developers regarding the start of the msgctxt migration is very much
> > needed.
>
> GIMP has already done the migration to msgctxt in trunk some months ago
> (so far we are only using C_(), but not the NC_() macro). I know GIMP is
> not strictly speaking a GNOME module. But the problems you outlined
> here, do affect it as well.

Thanks for the info. I've updated the live.gnome.org page accordingly:

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/MsgctxtMigration#preview

> So far we haven't had any problems with this change.

Personally, my concern was, in the case of already migrated modules, about
translators using Poedit and not knowing about the new way the context is
included in catalogs. This may unfortunately be the case with the GIMP,
too. (However, I think your previous sentence implies just that.)

Regards,
Petr Kovar