Re: on usage of non-ascii symbols

On 2/27/07, Simos Xenitellis <simos lists googlemail com> wrote:
On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 00:39 +0800, Abel Cheung wrote:
> I can recall in some older discussion that current GNOME 'policy' is
> "source code == en_US".

I used to think "source code  == C (locale)"

I think that should be "source code == ASCII printable characters plus
the Character Escape Codes
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII#endnote_3)", as in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII

That is from index 32 to 126 in ASCII and corresponds to exactly the
same with UTF-8, including some non-printable characters such as
newline, tab and so on.

If there are any data, they are stored as hex values or something
similar.

As all GTK+ programs now use UTF-8 encoding, it's ok to use utf-8
encoding IMHO (and it would be easier for translators to figure out
what those characters are)

Is there a reference to something like this?

I'd love to know too

Simos