Re: Translation status pages

On à., 2005-10-08 at 10:42 +0200, Carlos Perellà MarÃn wrote:

> > > root gandalf:/srv/l10n # du -hs .
> > > 6.9G    .
> > >
> > > and the process takes near 4 hours with an AMD Sempron(tm)   2800+ and
> > > 768MB of RAM
> > >
> > > With more RAM and faster CPU the process should be also faster. The main
> > > problem here is the hard disk I/O that's why we had to move it outside
> > > widget the first time, the server load was really high.
> >
> > widget has since then been replaced by window. window.gnome.org is a
> > dual Xeon 2.8 GHz server with 2 GB memory and RAID1 SCSI disks.
> >
> > This should be doable, right?
>
> Sure, the server works, the problem are the other process on that
> machine not the generation of the status pages... I'm not able to tell
> you if that machine will work or not, sorry.

It was decided that we wouldn't be doing it on window. We could do it on
container if necessary, but as Intel have sent us a shiny dedicated new
i18n server, we may as well start to make use of that. We're just
waiting on it being plugged into the colo.

So, in the meantime, would it be possible for you to post the scripts
you use for the translation status pages somewhere, and perhaps write up
some brief notes/HOWTO (e.g. a l.g.o. wiki page) to help anyone (i.e.
me) get things set up on a given box. In the meantime, I'll get the
script(s) checked into a CVS module somewhere, start some
sysadmin-oriented maintenance notes on the wiki and install and test it
all on the Intel server as soon as it hits the rack, and we can take it
from there (e.g. DNS updates etc).

Any questions?

--
Ross