Re: New team for Tagalog (tl)

sön 2005-01-09 klockan 18:34 +0330 skrev Roozbeh Pournader:
> On Sun, 2005-01-09 at 17:28, eric pareja wrote:
> > Filipino is largely based on Tagalog. However, they aren't entirely
> > the same. There are many debates about that, but I don't intend to
> > bring that here. I'd rather just get on with the translation work.
>
> I'm not interested in the debate. I was only wondering what should the
> GNOME translation project answer if one wishes to start a team for
> translating GNOME to Filipino. Should we say there is already a team
> working on it, or should we allow a new team?

Given that the ISO 639 standards committe considers the languages
different enough to provide them with different language codes
(Filipino/Pilipino has "fil", Tagalog has "tl"¹), I don't think this
will be a problem, at least not from a technical point of view.

When someone wants to translate into Filipino, we can probably let them
have their own team. However, as the languages are said to have some
similarities, it would probably be good if these language teams could
cooperate as much as possible. But this is all hypothetical discussions
since we don't have anyone interested in translating GNOME into Filipino
yet.

Christian

¹ http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/englangn.html