Re: Prioritizing translations

Hi,

Roozbeh Pournader <roozbeh farsiweb info> writes:

> I don't know if this is public knowledge or not, but I just discovered
> this. I have not tried it yet, but I wanted to share the excitement:
>
> There is an automatic way to find about which messages are more
> important than others in an application to translate. It's in the
> gettext manual ("info gettext") at a section called "Prioritizing
> messages: How to determine which messages to translate first" in the
> chapter "The Translator's View".
>
> For those who do not wish to browse that, it's also available online at:
>
> http://web.ccr.jussieu.fr/ccr/Documentation/Calcul/gettext/gettext_11.html#SEC188

This is only of very limited usefulness. In order to catch
user-visible messages, you would have to use the program in a typical
way. Otherwise you will not run into the code that generates dialogs
(and that's where the really important strings are). Rather
unimportant strings like for example the descriptions of object
properties will however show up as important since their gettext()
call is typically executed at application startup, even though no user
will ever see those strings.

Sven