Re: Translating panel clock format

ons 2005-02-02 klockan 08:19 +0000 skrev Mark McLoughlin:
> 	In gnome-panel, translators can translate the strings "24" and
> "24-hour" to "12"/"24" and "12-hour"/"24-hour" depending on whether a 12
> or 24 hour clock is the norm in that locale.
>
> 	Unfortunately, its easy to miss the fact that you're not supposed to
> translate these values like other strings, so you get the likes of:
>
> msgid "24-hour"
> msgstr "24 sata"
>
> 	Which neither the panel nor gconftool-2 can understand.
>
> 	There are comments in the po file explaining the situation:
>
>  #. Translators: the only valid values for this are "12-hour" and "24-hour"
>  #: applets/clock/clock.schemas.in.h:4
>
> 	But I guess its easy to miss that. I don't have any other ideas how to
> make this foolproof, though.

Really, translators should be more careful, but perhaps stressing the
fact even more in the comment and making the comment slightly more
verbose and explanatory would help somewhat:

/* Translators: This controls whether the GNOME panel clock should
   display time in 24 hour mode or 12 hour mode by default. The only
   valid values for this are "24-hour" and "12-hour". If your locale
   uses 24 hour time notation, translate this to "24-hour". If your
   locale uses 12 hour time notation with am/pm, translate this to
   "12-hour".

   Do NOT translate this into anything else than "24-hour" or
   "12-hour". For example, if you translate this to "24 sata" or
   anything else that isn't "24-hour" or "12-hour", things will
   not work. */