Re: What I'm doing

Dan Effugas Kaminsky wrote:

> >> I'd say *many* more users are pissed off about every time they modify a
> >> system setting, they have to reboot.
> >
> >ditto - true, but not a problem on unix.
>
> Yes, but it's a style issue.  Remember:  Gnome GUI shouldn't really be tied
> to Linux, Unix, or anything.  It's worth it to say "Reboot modalities suck
> ass".

When has this ever been a problem with UNIX?  Any app or utility
that required a reboot for a property change would get laughed
out of existance and/or completely ignored.  As an analogy, you
might as well give someone the advice, "Don't slam the door when
someone is walking through it."  It's definitely good advice, but
it's also something that you'd have to go out of your way to do.

How would you even code something that _required_ a reboot in
UNIX (not including kernel hocus-pocus)?  You'd almost have to do
it deliberately.  Maliciously.

Furthermore, I don't think GNOME should be 100% OS-independent.
At least for the foreseeable future.  Any movement of GNOME
outside the *NIX realm will involve massive, significant
porting.  What exactly are you thinking about?
GNOME-for-Windows?  I doubt if that'll ever happen.  Windows is
AFAIK the only major OS out there with stupid reboot requirements
like that.  (I'm not familiar with Amiga, or OS/2, etc.)

IMHO, This is a non-issue.

John