Re: What I'm doing

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Vogt <tom@lemuria.org>
To: gnome-gui-list@gnome.org <gnome-gui-list@gnome.org>
Date: Thursday, August 13, 1998 11:47 AM
Subject: Re: What I'm doing

>Dan Effugas Kaminsky <effugas@best.com> wrote:
>> I'd say *many* more users are pissed off about the utter mess that their
>> launch menus become every time they install something new.
>
>true. I've already proposed what I consider a good AND easy-enough-for-the-
>simple-user solution to this. scream if you missed it and I'll post it
>again.

You know what?  I must have missed it.  All I remember was that bit about
"system apps going into system, and user apps going into user, and the user
being able to specify exactly what subfolders stuff goes into" and then me
saying "Uh, that's what happens on windows basically and users just don't
specify the subfolders, we NEED to have detailed defaults."

Of course, this was around the time of my Gnome GUI vacation ;-)  So clue me
in.

>> I'd say *many* more users are pissed off about their applications
crashing.

>true. but that's by far not as  worse in a unix environment as in a windoze
>one, so even without doing one thing they'll be quite pleased if they used
>wincrap before. :)

This is true ;-)

>> I'd say *many* more users are pissed off about every time they modify a
>> system setting, they have to reboot.
>
>ditto - true, but not a problem on unix.

Yes, but it's a style issue.  Remember:  Gnome GUI shouldn't really be tied
to Linux, Unix, or anything.  It's worth it to say "Reboot modalities suck
ass".

>> You might wonder why I say the above.  Linux is winning because it's
>> *PRAGMATICALLY* better.  Nobody cares about the fact that Linux is coded
>> better, or more elegantly, or with greater freedom, or is based on 30
years
>> of research, or whatever.
>
>but those are the BACKGROUNDS. better coding brings more stability, more
>elegance makes better coding easier and leads to things like dynamic
>changing of  settings (i.e. no reboots). greater freedom  has brought us
the
>most powerful (gnu) tools. and years and years of research are what makes
>things  like tex possible in the first place.
>
>sure people don't care about that. but it's necessary groundwork for the
>things they DO care about.

This is true.  But we can't advertise or brag about the backgrounds.
"Thirty years?  Old technology, so what.  OH!  IT NEVER REBOOTS!  KILLER!"

>> I can bring up a million examples.  Point is, File is really not
something
>> that's relevant.  FIX WHAT THE USER HATES LEST THE USER HATE YOU.
>
>I never said I disagree :)
>
>I just meant to say that priority doesn't necessarily mean a time-order.

Well, before we go all out and piss off the users, thus screwing the
credibility of gnome-gui, lets put something in front of the users they
happen to *like*, so they can say "hurm, over here you really save my ass,
but can we talk about this file stuff?"

That's why priority = time order.  If our big change out of the gates is
something the users hate, we may not survive backlash.