Re: RGSG

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Tom Vogt wrote:

> Preben Randhol <randhol@dusken4.samfundet.ntnu.no> wrote:
> > | my #1 reason why not is that it won't get used. EVER. not by our target
> > | audience, the simple user.
> >
> > now I strongly disagree that the target audience is the simple user.
>
> who's it then?
> the poweruser doesn't need a damn gui at all, I'll be faster and more
> efficient on the console any time, no matter what gui.

I see several target audiences:
  1) The home computer user, to be the desktop for their new computer when
     companies finally start offering options in operating systems (I
     guess this would be the "simple") user.

  2) The small business user, to be an easy interface for getting his work
     done.  These have similar needs but different apps than the home
     user.

  3) The corporate IS department, who wants to distribute an easy to use,
     easy to administer desktop to hundreds of employees, so they can
     get their work done.  These users want it customizable, and lockable,
     so they can tell it to work the way they need it to, and the
     employees can't break it.

  4) The poweruser who needs a GUI.  It is awfully difficult to do things
     like photographic editing, CAD, even graphical web browsing without
     a GUI.  These users want a system that is absurdly customizable, but
     are willing to go through a little work to do this level of
     cusomization.

If I remember the original question correctly, it was about making a GUI
way of doing menu editing.  Only users 3 and 4 will care, and they will
happily edit a text file.  In fact, user type 3 will prefer a text file,
since changes are more easily scriptable.

-Gleef