Re: PROPOSAL: UISG Menu Line Standardization

On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Bowie Poag wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Armistead wrote:
>
> > >I would completely agree, provided their is a gnome-wide option that would
> > >allow the user to toggle between the foot icon and some kind of text
> > >(program, applications, whatever) - I personally prefer the foot
> > >idea, but have talked to several people who far prefer all text...
> >
> > Nod, the gnomeprint should have the capability of being changed to either text
> > or graphic and this should not be an application specific change, but instead,
> > a Gnome wide change.
>
> Its going to take alot for us to agree to change "Program" to (foot icon).
>
> The reasoning behind this is because it breaks consistancy. It needs to be
> all text, or all graphics, across the board. If you change Program to
> (foot), you might as well change Edit to a pair of scissors, View to a
> magifying class, Options to a question mark, Help to an exclamation mark.

yes, well, if any of my posts were payed attention to (as any good thread
follower does :), you'd have seen my proposal to add Program menu
configurability in the UI properties box. we should be able to pick the
default "Program", a label of our choice, or an icon of our choice.

> Consistancy is key here, for the UISG at least.. Sure, we all agree
> badging is a "good thing" .. But it doesnt justify breaking consistancy to
> do so, imho. I'd be interested in hearing opinions to the contrary.

UI prefs is consistant :)
|        / |/ /_ __/ /_____         |       Nuke Skyjumper               |
|       /    / // /  '_/ -_)        |         "Master of the Farce"      |