Re: Tear-off menus

On 07-Aug-98 Ben 'The Con Man' Kahn wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, John R Sheets wrote:
>
>> If this is not a big deal to implement, I think we should include
>> this in the style guide.  Or even if it is a big deal, really.

Include this in the sense of all apps should use them? Would it specify that
*all* menus be tearable, or just some, and if so, which ones?

>       I asked about this before, and I was told that this functionality
> was planned in the new version of GTK.  No one seemed to be working on it,
> so I started doing it.  However, I was pulled away by other projects and I
> haven't looked at it for a couple of months.  It looked like it was going
> to be quite simple to do....

Yeah, sounds relatively simple after thinking about it a little. You'd need a
slight modification to the menu drawing code to draw the dashed line, and then
just add the functions that would duplicate the menu's structure and callbacks
and pack that into a toplevel window - one issue that would need deciding on
would be whether to expect the window manager to add the necassary close
buttons, or request that their be no decorations (the way the tearoff toolbars
are) and use gtk widgets for the close and (I guess) minimize buttons... I'd
volunteer to implement this except that A) I've got a *lot* of other things
going on, and B) I really don't use tearoff menus :)

--
Evan Lawrence