Re: [gnome-flashback] Gnome Flashback

Hey,

On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 6:01 PM, Alberts Muktupāvels
<alberts muktupavels gmail com> wrote:
[some parts skipped]
The last question from you that I'm aware of showed a complete lack of
understanding what each branch is targeted at - although I had
documented that _repeatedly_. Which shows me that you don't even read
the mails that I write.

I have read probably all e-mails in this mailing list. I still think that
all in master can be targeted to 3.8 version. That is why I asked. I am not
going to spend my time to commit same changes to different branches when
that is not needed. Your released version 3.8 from my view is just 3.6.3
version. As now I am working with 3.10 I just wanted to know if you will
want to release 3.8.1 from master or not.

For 3.8.x we have a special branch, and it is not master. In master
there were some ABI breaks that are unacceptable for a minor release.

I think that touches the base of our problem.
I had asked for help in rescuing lost features from
gnome-settings-daemon et al, and figuring out how to ship them as part
of Gnome Flashback. Alberts is the one actually actively coding, but
only interested in modernizing the code base, getting rid of deprecated
function usage, and killing GConf.

You asked, but why you are not trying to do it yourself?

Yes, I am interested in these things. Why? Because I want use this session
today, tomorrow, after some month, after some years. I don't like unity nor
gnome-shell. So I am thinking about future. If we are not going to fix
deprecated things now what will happen when we will want to make this
session to work with gtk 4? Porting or rewriting all things than will be a
lot harder than it is now.

+1

To be blunt: At the moment, I don't see us (the subproject) surviving
the move to a (still hypothetical) Gtk+ 4, where things like a
deprecated GtkHBox would actually disappear on us. So this kind of work
is just not my priority, and we don't have the strength to pull of a
libpanel-applet ABI bump, much less just for the sake of "just" removing
a GConf dependency.

Exactly! We won't survive if we are not going to do something about it. Why
you so match care about not bumping ABI version? If it where done few month
ago there would be plenty of time to adapt these changes. Of course this
could make un-maintained applets to not work with new version. But if it is
good applet we can add it in our source tree.

+1, deprecated stuff in libpanel-applet has caused some applets that
was building without Gtk deprecations to fail to build recently
(indicator-applet namely).

Alberts: of course I cannot tell you what to work on. I agree with
Dmitry, that it would be best if you continue your work upstream, but in
a feature branch. Create a "feature/remove-foo" or
"feature/modernize-bar" branch, work there, and ask us to review it,
when it's ready. And please try for good commit messages, including
references to bugzilla or relevant mailing list threads.

Why would I create these branches which may never get merged? So I create
branch x, than create branch y and branch z. All branches I will need to
create from master. If one will get merged than I will need update all other
branches. Extra work will be needed.

So, what will we do with master ? ATM I lean towards skipping 3.10
entirely, switching everybody to building in a 3.11 environment ASAP,
and trying to hit the 3.12 release.

Why skip 3.10? Is there any real reason for it? gnome-panel is no longer
official part of gnome. We should focus on fixing and improving it not just
to catch up gnome release cycle. What is point to release gnome-panel 3.12
if it is basically still 3.6.2 if my changes are going to be reverted?

3.12 will be released this month, so I don't mind if we skip 3.10 :)

Metacity. Are we going to use gtk 2 version forever?

https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeFlashback:
There is clearly written that we need to port to gtk3. I have working gtk3
version, I am using it almost two month. I did write about it in this
mailing list. Does anybody cares about it?

Does any of you have commit rights to Metacity? I think that is the
biggest problem.

Have anyone tested it without me?

I have tested (and even reported a bug (about screen flickering while
switching windows)).