Re: Desktop Help tasks

Hi Paul,

On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 14:48 -0500, Paul Cutler wrote:
> I'm a mentor for the Women's Outreach Program[1] and we've had a
> tremendous interest in women applying for one of the five spots to
> work on desktop help.

> I'm going to look at Phil here, but I need some help in building out
> the list of topics and tasks[2] that need to be done in the Desktop
> Help gitorious repo.  Not only do those applying have to complete one
> task with their application, this would also help current and new
> contributors with places to start / topics to write about for 3.0.

> I apologize for not knowing, but do we have a list of topics that have
> already been brainstormed that we can add to the wiki?

We discussed this at the IRC meeting today, but I thought I'd reply for
the benefit of the list.

In my opinion, it's too much work to maintain a detailed list of topics
that need to be written on the wiki. Instead, I think we should put stub
topics with explanatory notes in them directly into the repo (see, for
example, this latest commit [1]), and regularly build the whole of the
DH to HTML (with editor-mode turned on) and put it online. That way,
people can instantly see the status of topics that need work, along with
notes on what needs to be done, in their browser rather than having to
fiddle around with git. A button at the bottom of each topic page to
download the Mallard source of the topic would also be handy, so people
could start editing a topic very quickly.

I'm hoping to add more pre-brainstormed topics to the repo in the coming
week.

Thanks,

Phil

[1] -