Yelp 3.0 Status and Planning

Hey folks,

There have been a few questions about the yelp-3-0 branch
lately, so I thought I'd post a rundown of where things
are and what needs to be done.

In yelp-3-0, most of the hard stuff is being moved into
a library called libyelp.  This is in-tree for now as I
work on things.  It will move into its own repository
eventually.

This whole process involves some cleanup and a complete
rewrite of the URI-parsing code to not require Rarian to
construct its indexes.  This is a major bottleneck for
startup times.

Here's what's done:

* URI parsing and handling is pretty solid.
* Mallard transformations work.
* DocBook transformations work.

Here's what remains, roughly in order of what I consider
highest priority to lowest.

* Search.  Neither of the search backends in Yelp 2.x
  has a big future.  We need to see what Tracker can
  provide for us.
* Printing.
* Bookmarks.
* The listing of all installed documentation.  Note
  that this won't be the default front page for Yelp
  in 3.0.  We'll default to the desktop help.
* Man pages.
* Info pages.

I also want to change the internals of the DocBook
code to make it only process each chunk on demand.
This should help in perceived processing speed for
DocBook documents.

--
Shaun McCance
http://syllogist.net/