Re: (sgml vs XML)+indexing

    EB> Yes, we want to be able to make printed copies of our docs as well as html
    EB> versions of them.  Currently there is no tool (to my knowledge) to make PS or PDFs.
    EB> We also want to be able to validate our docs, like nsgml does for DocBook SGML.
    EB> Again I do not believe that there are any tools for this.

Actually there are some tools, but they are too expensive on hardware
and memory requirements. OK, I'm not a Java lover but I don't want to
wait something like 10 - 15 times more to have my job done.

    EB> I think that when we can make printed and html copies of DocBook XML and also
    EB> be able to validate it we can start to think about switching to Docbook XML.

It's possible to do that to XML files with nsgmls. The only
requirement is that the XML file has a DTD.

WRT DocBook XML versus DocBook SGML, the only problem that I'm aware
of are with Gnome tools. Both are fine and both can be used with the
same DSSSL stylesheets, generating the _same_ output with the _same_
tools.

My recommendations are: stick with SGML for now but implement XML
support ASAP. DocBook 5 will be XML only. And the world is going to
XML, we don't want to be late.

See you,
--
Godoy. <godoy conectiva com>

Departamento de Publicações       Conectiva S.A.
Publishing Department             Conectiva Inc.