Re: 1.4 updates

* Ali Abdin (aliabdin aucegypt edu) wrote at 15:53 on 06/10/00:
> * Michael McElree - Sun Ireland - Tech Writer (Michael McElree ireland sun com) wrote at 17:02 on 05/10/00:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > One suggestion I would like to see
> > implemented involves a (minor) change to the Authors section
> > of
> > online help.
> >
> > It is very important for Sun (and for other companies
> > distributing GNOME in the future) that users are given a link
> > to a
> > page listing the appropriate support channel. Thus, GNOME on
> > Solaris users who need further support or information  on any
> > of
> > the core software would be given a link to a Sun-specific
> > contact
> > information page. In this way, each distribution of GNOME
> > would
> > direct users to the appropriate channel to obtain further
> > support. Each distributor of GNOME would only have to insert
> > the
> > relevant information on one page, rather than trying to change
> > the help for every piece of software.
> >
> > To take the example of the Mini-Commander applet - the Authors
> > section would read:
> >
> > Mini-Commander was written by Oliver Maruhn
> > (<oliver maruhn com>). Please send all comments and
> > suggestions
> > via the following channels <link to relevant support details
> > page>.
> >
> > This manual was written by Oliver Maruhn (<oliver maruhn com>)
> > Minor modifications and updates were made by Dan Mueth
> > (<d-mueth chicago edu>). Please send all comments and
> > suggestions
> > via the following channels <link to relevant support details
> > page>.
> >
> > The default link would be to a page containing the text in the
> > current form. Sun (and other distributors) would replace this
> > page with one listing their own support contact details.
>
> I don't think this is a good idea. I picture an image where bug reports end up
> at vendors, instead of going 'upstream' to authors.
>
> But anyway - I think the "appropriate" thing to do is hack bug-buddy to send
> bug reports (by default) to the "vendor".
>
> You could also provide a link on the desktop for suggestions (or write a
> custom application that would users would click and would send bugs, features,
> suggestions, etc. to the "vendors" email address).
>
> I do not think the 'Help' box needs to be extended.

Uhhh - I think I greatly misunderstood or something. Because I thought he was
talking about the 'About box' and not the help files. DOH!

Some of my comments still apply though - Set bug-buddy (by default) to report
bugs to sun. The /GNOME/ docs should say report bugs using bug-buddy - but
"extra" GNOME apps shouldn't.

Regards,
Ali