Re: 1.4 updates

* Michael McElree - Sun Ireland - Tech Writer (Michael McElree ireland sun com) wrote at 17:02 on 05/10/00:
> Hi All,
>
> One suggestion I would like to see
> implemented involves a (minor) change to the Authors section
> of
> online help.
>
> It is very important for Sun (and for other companies
> distributing GNOME in the future) that users are given a link
> to a
> page listing the appropriate support channel. Thus, GNOME on
> Solaris users who need further support or information  on any
> of
> the core software would be given a link to a Sun-specific
> contact
> information page. In this way, each distribution of GNOME
> would
> direct users to the appropriate channel to obtain further
> support. Each distributor of GNOME would only have to insert
> the
> relevant information on one page, rather than trying to change
> the help for every piece of software.
>
> To take the example of the Mini-Commander applet - the Authors
> section would read:
>
> Mini-Commander was written by Oliver Maruhn
> (<oliver maruhn com>). Please send all comments and
> suggestions
> via the following channels <link to relevant support details
> page>.
>
> This manual was written by Oliver Maruhn (<oliver maruhn com>)
> Minor modifications and updates were made by Dan Mueth
> (<d-mueth chicago edu>). Please send all comments and
> suggestions
> via the following channels <link to relevant support details
> page>.
>
> The default link would be to a page containing the text in the
> current form. Sun (and other distributors) would replace this
> page with one listing their own support contact details.

I don't think this is a good idea. I picture an image where bug reports end up
at vendors, instead of going 'upstream' to authors.

But anyway - I think the "appropriate" thing to do is hack bug-buddy to send
bug reports (by default) to the "vendor".

You could also provide a link on the desktop for suggestions (or write a
custom application that would users would click and would send bugs, features,
suggestions, etc. to the "vendors" email address).

I do not think the 'Help' box needs to be extended.

Regards,
Ali