Re: GDP and docbook 4.0 ?

Felix Natter <fnatter@gmx.net> writes:

> I am currently using docbook 4.0 xml (this has just recently been
> released), and I was wondering how the stylesheets are going to be written.
> Do you know of any xslt-stylesheets ?

At this point Norman Walsh has not yet finished the modular
stylesheets to handle all of the new changes in 4.01. He has both
DSSSL and XSL and I am confident that new versions will be out soon
which will handle DB from 3.x to 4.x - I just can't tell you when.

> In order to get the xml-version of panel.sgml to work, I needed to remove
> some entities (because I did not want to edit all of the support-files as
> well), and I had to make <xref> explicitly empty (/>) (maybe some others as
> well).
> I think the sgml->xml-conversion can probably be done using psgml, an sgml/xml
> editing-mode for emacs
> (http://www.lysator.liu.se/projects/about_psgml.html).

I don't think it is wise to move to 4.x just yet. First, there are
still some issues in it besides the stylesheets, and so far no one has
made any packages that are easy to install... not all writers who
contribute have the time or know-how to do it by hand.

That is just my opinion on what the 'official' GDP stance should be -
but perhaps it should be discussed.

Cheers,

Dave

--