Installing display profiles/interfacing with gcm

Hi,

I'm currently looking for a way to install display profiles in a similar way as Argyll's dispwin does. So, I'm either looking for an utility 'gcm-install-display-profile' <displayno> <filename.icc> that would copy the file, do the mapping displayno->device and write the neccessary info to device-profiles.conf (does gcm-install-systemwide do this?). Or for another way to achieve what I just described (DBus?). Reason I'm asking is I'd like to offer profile installation in a GCM-compatible way in dispcalGUI if GCM is also installed, as I'm currently only supporting the Argyll dispwin (UCMM) way.
Or is it safe/recommended to write to device-profiles.conf directly?
Then, I'd just have to figure out how to do the Argyll displayno -> GCM device mapping (btw, what's the $(ascii) in xrandr_$(vendor)_$(name)_$(ascii)_$(serial) mentioned in the GCM wiki?). Pointers welcome :)

Thanks in advance and regards
--
Florian Höch
http://hoech.net