Switch of GNOME tarball compression format: tar.xz only

In a few months, newly uploaded tarballs on ftp.gnome.org will only be
available as tar.xz. Change occurs after the last stable release of
GNOME 3.2, approximately on Nov 16 2011. This only for *new* tarballs.
All existing tarballs on ftp.gnome.org will NOT be affected nor removed.

Currently tarballs are released using the formats:
 - tar.xz
 - tar.bz2 (until 2011-11-15)

==> After Nov 16 2011 (approx.) tarballs will only use tar.xz <==

For packagers:
 - please package GNOME 3.2 using tar.xz
 - default options are used for xz compression; requires about 9 MiB of
   memory to decompress (bz2 uses 3700KB)

For maintainers:
 - for your information only; you do not need to do anything
 - ftpadmin script will automatically handle conversion of compression
   formats
 - it would still be nice if 'make dist' was changed to create a .tar.xz
   file, using:
     AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([1.11 no-dist-gzip dist-xz])

To keep in mind:
1. This change only concerns *newly* released tarballs after above
mentioned dates.
2. If a file is is currently available as .tar.gz or .tar.bz2, it will
still be available after above mentioned date.
3. Existing files will not be recompressed. E.g. I do *not* intend to
make gtk+-1.1.12.tar.gz available as .tar.xz.

If you have concerns, I'd like to hear about it. I've set the reply-to
to desktop-devel-list and distributor-list.
--
Regards,
Olav