GNOME shell magnifier does not track Java UI events

Dear list,

I tried the following to let the GNOME shell magnifier track Java UI events, but unfortunately it didn’t work for me. Could you please review my steps and suggest what I could try next?

1.       I installed Ubuntu GNOME 16.10

2.       sudo apt install openjdk-8-jdk openjdk-8-demo libatk-wrapper-java

3.       sudo apt update

4.       sudo apt upgrade

5.       cd /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/demo/jfc/Notepad

6.       java -jar -Dassistive_technologies=org.GNOME.Accessibility.AtkWrapper -verbose:jni Notepad.jar

Notepad starts, but the magnifier doesn’t track my input.

No errors or warnings are printed to the console. Only occurrences of:

[Registering JNI native method…]

[Dynamic-linking native method…]

How to proceed?

Thanks in advance!