About java atk wrapper (JAW) status: more info required

Hello everybody,

during the last two GNOME accessibility meetings we were talking about
the status of the Java ATK wrapper [1][2]. In short, some Orca users are
having problems to use Java applications with Orca. Specifically, one of
the main problems is that it is hard/impossible to build it, in order to
use with recent versions of the user distro. This was confirmed by
Joanmarie itself, although without looking what was the real problem.
One OPW intern was looking for a project to work on, and Joanmarie
suggested that, but we didn't receive any feedback from her.

However, our main concerns is that nobody from the side of JAW (their
maintainers/developers) or Oracle had said anything after some weeks. At
this point we don't know if they didn't say anything because they are
not subscribed to orca-list, or because they are not working anymore on
JAW. The latter seems to be really likely taking into account the low
activity on the JAW repository [3] (last commit dates from 2011-07).

So the conclusion of the last meeting [2] was that the first step would
be know what are the plans of Oracle and the current maintainer (right
now Ke Want, still with a Sun email) for JAW. Short-medium-long term
plans. For that reason I'm sending this mail to gnome-accessibility,
that has a wider audience that orca-list, and CCing Peter Korn, as he
probably will know the answer or know better if I should send this
question to a different mailing list.

Thanks everybody listening

Best regards

[1] https://live.gnome.org/Accessibility/Minutes/20121115