Re: Proposal: mouse-only Caribou for GNOME 2.30

Hi Steve,

On 12/10/2009 12:03 PM, Steve Lee wrote:
> 2009/12/9 Willie Walker <William Walker sun com>:
>> So that leaves GOK users who depend upon switch-based access.  With XEvIE
>> having suffered a ill-fated death, poor GOK is being attacked on yet another
>> side.  So, I think it may make sense to revisit switch-based access once
>> XInput2 is more prevalent.  At that time, we may also investigate other new
>> ideas for switch-based access such as Nomon, Jambu, etc.  Until that point,
>> we may need to recommend that existing switch-based users remain on GNOME
>> 2.28 -- I'm not sure if that's an acceptable thing, however, and will check.
>
> As most switches these days appear as USB HID devices, through the use
> of physical interfaces such as the JoyCable, it is possible to get
> switch input events using PyGame Joystick support (though you have to
> poll). So in Jambu the following is used from the main GTK pump
> http://www.oatsoft.org/svn/jambu/trunk/src/lib/jambu/Switch.py

The switch interfaces that I've run across emulate USB mice. Thanks for
letting me know about the switch interfaces that emulate USB joysticks.

I agree with you that the solution for switch access will need to
support both types of devices - hopefully we do this with a single API.

I'll look into getting a JoyCable for my future development.

Cheers, Ben