Re: unable to enter password with osk into policykit

Hello again,

I have already filed a bug against policykit in Ubuntu:
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/policykit/+bug/209408

Should I also file a bug against gnome-policykit in GNOME, or against policykit at bugs.freedesktop.org, or even against both?

At 12:21 PM -0400 4/3/08, David Bolter wrote:
>Pointer grabs are horrible things.  We've had to work around this by requiring GOK users to use a non-core pointing device, which has led to lots of confusion over the years.

Indeed: I am only using one pointing device; and it is configured as the CorePointer (I suppose that there can only be one corepointer!?) in xorg.conf.

- Considering that there is only one pointing device connected to the computer, does it make sense to configure that pointer as a non-corepointer? Will I be able to do with that non-corepointer all the things that I can do with the corepointer?

- How can I configure the pointing device to not be the corepointer? Is it as simple as removing the keyword "CorePointer" from the corresponding InputDevice-line in xorg.conf?

>If there is going to be a lobby against pointer grabs I will gladly join.

What about adding it as a guideline (if not requirement) for an application to qualify as GNOME-ish, if it is not already done? That would at least be a starting point!?

Or are there circumstances where a pointer grab is necessary?

Cheers,

Francesco