Re: [g-a-devel] Status of IBM a11y

Python
-------------------
Dive into python is for learning advanced python. If you install Python IDLE (http://www.python.org/idle/) then it comes with documentation including a tutorial.

IMHO this tutorial written by Guido (python's designer) and related documentation is a good starting point.

------------------
A general comment: I always felt that links and general FAQ regarding accessibility on Linux is difficult to find for someone who is not involved. Like, Is there any page from where I (as a user) could find all the accessibility tools that work on Linux platform and how to buy/license/download them?

I once tried to get specific speech drivers, but couldn't manage more than freetts and festival. Example: I tried to get ibm-tts but just couldn't get it.

May be a FAQ page on wikipedia or somewhere with links related to various utilities would be great. Please correct me if I am missing something here.

I must say that this mailing list and all the people on it are very active; and its great to see people so committed. And I wish all the IBM contributors success in what-ever they decide to do next.

On 6/2/07, Henrik Nilsen Omma <henrik ubuntu com> wrote:
krister kristersplace ws wrote:
> On 2 Jun 2007 at 20:18, Jason White wrote:
>

>> 6. Learn Python! This is the scripting language used by Orca, and
>> there is good documentation available on the Web. I haven't learned
>> Python in depth
>>

> Do you know if there's a "dummies guide to python"? What i mean by this is that
> programming language documentation tends to be confusing at the very least and scary and
> intimidating in normal to worst cases. so i need a very simplistic guide with truckloads of
> examples.
Dive into python is quite good:
http://www.diveintopython.org/toc/index.html

Though it may not be primarily intended for first-time programmers, it
does have lots of examples.
> Also are there good tools to aid in syntax writing and such?

Gedit has python syntax highlighting.

Good luck! :)

Henrik