Re: Accessability Interfaces

Thanks Bill.

BTW is the presentation you did at Gnome Boston available online yet?

On 11/8/06, Bill Haneman < Bill Haneman sun com> wrote:
Steve Lee wrote:
> Well I was really making a fairly general question ignoring the layers
> and agree it depends on the language or libraries you use. My question
> was not so much the mechanics but more what you are conceptually
> doing. Perhaps it is rather fuzzy distinction. It's all useful info
> thanks David.
>
> My main experience is with the windows equivs of MSAA and COM. Using C
> you can do it the painful way of rolling all your own low level client
> code, you can use general classes and libraries, you can use #imports
> that creates classes for you from the IDL. In Python for general com
> you use Mark Hammond's wonderful code that creates python classes from
> the IDL (though event sinks are a little fidely).
>
> From what I've seen ATK provides an abstract API devoid of CORBA
> details and perhaps even a little different from AT-SPI. Rather like
> the Python COM classes, or a library built on top of them.
Yes, but bear in mind that ATK is an in-process API and therefore is not
available to assistive technologies (since they are in a separate
process space from the apps which provide the ATK services).  ATK is not
an abstraction on top of AT-SPI, but vice-versa.

You might find this presentation of interest:
http://www.gnome.org/~billh/ArchitecturalOverview.odp

Bill