Re: [g-a-devel] Slow keys dialog

On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 23:05, Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:
> Bill Haneman wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 22:28, Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:
> >

> >> Bill, is it an accessibility violation to have unusable accessibility tools?
> >>

> > Are you going to say something helpful?
> >

> OK, I should have resisted that last line, sorry.
>
> But there is a valid point under the sarcasm, which is:
> we are trying to
> make new and better tools here and it is not very helpful
> to then always
> refer back to the existing tools which really don't work.

You keep saying the existing tools "don't work", but you
don't seem to be helping to make them work.

90% of all GOK problems are configuration issues.  This is
documented in the Gnome Accessibility Guide - mostly it comes down to
broken-ness in the way XInput works in most systems out-of-the box.  I
think in the end we will have to ditch XInput where GOK is
concerned, but although several research projects have been carried out
to try and identify alternatives, we haven't found one
that really fits the bill.

Henrik, I thought it was part of your job to do QA and testing of
Ubuntu accessibility... so I would hope you would be interested
in helping work towards solutions.

Building a new onscreen keyboard that doesn't meet the needs
of disabled users isn't the right solution in my opinion.
Did you even investigate GOK's configurability?  I really believe
that there are multiple ways in which GOK could have been
used to solve the problem you are apparently attempting to solve, but I
know for a fact that you didn't have any in-depth discussions with the
maintainers.

Bill