Re: Is keynav to unavailable menu items a bug?

Hi Aaron,

It seems like there are 3 possibilities:

1. Keep Gnome and Mozilla different (as they are now)
2. Change Mozilla to act like Gnome (skip over unavailable menu items)
3. Change Gnome to act like Mozilla (arrow through all items)

I think the answer could depend on the type of user. I expect that screen reader users would want to arrow through all of the items, to know what's there and what state the app is in. I would expect most other users not to be as concerned with the decision.

This makes me think that #3 is the best choice.

You've missed at least two options:

 4. Have Mozilla notice it is running on a GNOME desktop, and in that
    instance act like GNOME (as distinct from a "Linux desktop")
 5. Make Mozilla's menu behavior user-configurable

This last option works with the other four, making the choice of one of the other four simply the default choice.

I personally do not have a strong opinion this - one of the reasons I asked for feedback on these mailing lists.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Sun Accessibility team