[g-a-devel] exposing text using ATK

Hi all,

When a user presses backspace, an at-spi event gets generated, and its any_data field contains the character that was just deleted. How does this happen? It is not happening with my current ATK implementation for Abiword. My understanding is that, when text is deleted, the application should emit a text_changed::delete signal with the offset and length of the deleted text. Does this need to be done before the text is deleted? (It is currently being sent afterwards; perhaps this is the problem.) If so, what about text_changed::insert signals? Should they also be sent before the text is inserted? Or is there something that I should be doing to pass the deleted character?

Also, I have an unrelated question about get_text_at_offset in AtkTextIface. When passed a line boundary, I gather, from looking at a comment in the Orca source, that the end offset should correspond to the "beginning of the next line." How do new-line characters factor into this? Should the end offset correspond to the new-line character dividing the lines, or the character just beyond it? Ie, is the new-line considered part of the previous line, or is it part of the next line, or neither?

Thanks, and, if there is documentation somewhere that explains all of this, then feel free to point me to it.

-- Mike Gorse / AIM:linvortex / http://mgorse.freeshell.org --