Re: Animator widget

On Sat, Jun 23, 2001 at 03:13:28PM +0200, Martin Baulig wrote:
> Cody Russell <bratsche gnome org> writes:
>
> > I guarantee that almost nobody used GnomeAnimator, because it was so
> > horrible.  Almost everyone who needed animation found writing their own
> > code to be more useful than GnomeAnimator, so I would not be surprised
> > if GnomeICU is the only thing out there that used it.
> >
> > I already moved gnome-animator.[ch] to libgnome1-compat, but I didn't
> > add them to the Makefile.am.  I would much rather just remove them from
> > libgnome1-compat entirely since they are pretty much useless.
>
> Hi,
>
> yeah, let's remove them completely.

Erm... Galeon uses it too. What's the recommended replacement that is
valid for both GNOME 1.4 and GNOME 2.0 platforms? Some people have
mentioned GtkImage but this doesn't support animation (in GTK+
1.2.x). GdkPixbuf can load animations but then I need to render them
into other widgets to display them.

Are we all meant to have our own hacks built like this?

Cheers,
Matt

PS. [ it does seem a bit daft removing widgets required for backwards
      compatiblity from a library whose purpose is precisely that!
      Although getting rid of GnomeAnimator and the imlib dependency
      will be a nice thing to do. ]