Re: gnome-libs 2.0 API

Sander Vesik wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Murray Cumming wrote:
>
> > Can someone give me a URL describing the planned changed to gnome-libs
> > 2.0? Hopefully that's not a rhetorical question.
> >
> > I've seen talk of.
> > - Removing GnomeApp and GnomeMDI in favour of the (equally undocumented)
> > B(b?)onobo APIs.
> > - Adding some GAL/EEL widgets.
> >
> > BUT I thought that we were just going to port gnome-libs to GTK 2.0, and
> > split it into smaller libraries. I remember that someone in the audience
> > at GUADEC 2 assured us that he was taking notes of the GNOME 2
> > decisions, but I don't remember them being posted anywhere.
> >

> The splitting to smaller libraries did happen, look into CVS (modules
> libgnome, libgnomeui, etc.)

Yes, I know.

> > Personally I'd like to remove the dodgy APIs and add any APIs that are
> > definitely stable, but I can also see why we'd want to leave it until
> > later.
> >

> Send the patches proposals, survive the flamewar and convinve people to
> put them in.

I have no intention of proposing it, because I understand the reasons
for not doing it. My point, is that some high-level people have
mentioned (on mailing lists and IRC) that these things will happen, and
that worries me because I don't *think* it's what was agreed.

--
Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com