Re: Confusion of Applet and Capplet :)

Glynn Foster wrote:

> But not only did this come from the ARC [/me presents ARC with backdoor
> key], as Calum's GUADEC presentation came up with the comments -
>
>   The term "applets" was confusing; most didn't know what it
>   meant, some guessed it was "something to do with Java"
>
> So it would be just great if we could come up with something a little bit
> sensible that somehow acurately describes their [non]usefulness :) This
> also applies to the capplets/crapplets.

For what it's worth, I'd suggest "panel <something>".  When we asked
people in the usability test what term they'd prefer, one or two
suggested "accessories", so maybe "panel accessories", or "panel tools",
or "panel applications", or something equally boring  :o)

As for "capplets", do we actually refer to them as such in the GUI or
documentation anywhere, or is that just a word we're using when we're
talking amongst ourselves?  I don't think I've seen it any GUI, but I
haven't checked the docs because as you all know by now I'd happily burn
all the world's online documentation on sight, were it flammable  :o)

Cheeri,
Calum.