Re: building gnome 2.0 (fwd)

Ravi Pratap M wrote:

>         Well, I fixed the problem (although in a hackish manner) by
> installing autoconf, automake etc into the same prefix too. Until autoconf
> becomes less broken, a parallel install in the same prefix and using the
> same aclocal might not be possible.
>
>         Of course, you could change the names of the macros but that is
> probably not the way to go.
>
>         Regards,
>
>                 Ravi

The biggest advantage of this approach, the "build EVERYTHING in a new
prefix approach" is that you never have to second-guess your build about
prefix issues.  You know for a fact that autoconf, automake, libtool,
gettext and pkg-config all have the same unique prefix.

I think the savings in time debugging prefix issues are worth the extra
bit of disk space you use, so I dont consider this so much a hack, but
rather a good way to deal with the insanity.

-re