Re: DONT WASTE WORK!!!!!

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001, textshell wrote:
> I just want to say my current feelings about GNOME:
>
> I think we should move all relevant things to the Mailinglists. If we want
> GNOME to be usable and good, we can NOT split our hackers into mayparts!!!!
>
> This means anything that might be relevant from the achitetual ppoint of view
> has to be Discussed in th open, things not purely technical in some list
> every gnome developer reads!!!!

> It is a no-no to replace gconf by something diffent without the knowleage of
> the gconf maintainer!!! We should COMMUNICATE und COOPERATE!!!!
>
> So we do not split our effort, we can't get to a good DESKTOP if everone does
> his OWN shit.
>
> And of course we can't make GNOME an BIG COMPANY only project!!!
>
> !!!! I'LL REPEAT WE MUST AGREE ON ARCHITEURAL CHANGES !!!!
>
> else gnome turn out to some kind of M$ dictatorship, we don't like 'what
> ever' the developers have to use something different!
>
> Maybe on course of this is that much is discussed in private, or in much to
> high traffic mailing lists, without any note that is is importat, burryed
> down is an thread with an name like "I've got a Problem".

After reading this mail, its even more suprising to me, that you (together
with the knowledge of a handful of other people) silently changed all the
code in libgnome[ui] to use bonobo-config through the backdoor. This is
_not_ what I call an open discussion.

And I have the feeling that even one of the GNOME 2.0 coordinators
(Sander) doesn't know anything about this yet (of course this is just a
feeling, I don't know anything about Sanders knowledge). This is bad
practice. I am currently subscribed to about 10 GNOME related mailinglists
and the first time I've heard about bonobo-conf[ig] was when you told me
at Brunswick personally.

So, the whole problem maybe the result of the numerous mailinglists. When
the KDE project announced their kernel-cousin-project, I had the feeling
that GNOME never can come up with such a thing, 'cos it does not have a
central ML.  But this would be very useful, so maybe we should think about
restructureing our ML-situation and provide a kernel-cousin-alike project,
so everyone can basically follow all discussions.

   Jens

P.S: Same problem as every time: Where does this comment belong to?
gnome-hackers, gnome-2-0-list, gnome-list, gnome-devel ...